Lead Auto/Equipment Mechanic
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Lead Auto/Equipment Mechanic
Job no: 498973
Department: Business & Finance
Work type: Staff
Location: Stanislaus - Turlock
Categories: Unit 6 - Teamsters Local 2010, Trades, Probationary
Full-time position available on or after March 22, 2021 in
Facilities Building Maintenance.
Under general supervision of the Facilities Maintenance Manager,
the incumbent provides lead work direction to others and performs a
wide variety of highly skilled journey-level work in the
preventative maintenance and repair of University equipment.
Incumbent performs all routine and safety inspections and services
and repairs all University motor vehicles, tractors, backhoe,
electric carts and other heavy equipment.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform necessary repairs and preventative maintenance to keep
all University vehicles, electric carts, tractors, backhoe and
other equipment in a safe, operational condition.
- Ensure completed work meets the requirements and compliance of
applicable safety codes, regulations and manufacturer standards.
- Ensure that university vehicles meet the annual smog testing
- Perform all routine and safety inspections, services and
repairs for all motor vehicles, tractors and equipment including
fueling, checking oil, battery, water, tires, lights, hoses, and
- Wash vehicles, clean and vacuum interiors as necessary. Keep
shop area and fuel station in a safe and clean condition at all
times. Act as a California State Motor Vehicle Inspector for the
- Inspect vehicles to determine and recommend necessary repairs,
corrective actions or replacement of vehicles.
- Perform routine maintenance on all heavy equipment as required
by manufacturer standards. Perform 6-month services on all support
unit vehicles and equipment.
- Perform minor welding and repairs. Perform preventative
maintenance on engines for campus emergency generators.
- Prepare material requests for engine, drive train, and radiator
repairs, tune-ups, brake and electrical repairs, electronic
ignition and fuel system repairs, minor body repairs, and all
preventative maintenance and/or services.
- Maintain inventory of gasoline, diesel, tires, filters, hoses,
belts, and tune-up parts and prepare requisitions for purchasing
- Provide data to assure adequate stock of materials is kept in
- Keep records of all vehicle repairs, maintenance, fuel and oil
used. Maintain a preventative maintenance and repair schedule.
- Complete labor and material cards daily. Provide supervision
for Apprentice when assigned.
- Respond to emergency calls during non-business hours and
determine corrective measures as directed by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications
Education: None required.
Experience: Combination of progressively responsible training and
experience as an automotive and/or equipment mechanic which
demonstrates achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to that
acquired through completion of a standard apprenticeship program.
In addition to the above experience, two or more years of
experience as a journey-level automotive or equipment mechanic that
included work coordination responsibilities
License/Certification: See below under "Licenses or
- Possession of an ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service
Excellence) Certification or equivalent.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative
working relationships with members of the department, local and
state agencies, and the campus community.
- Ability to work effectively in a service-oriented environment
subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to operationalize sustainability concepts (economy,
society, environment) into all aspects of performing job duties.
- Ability to recognize and accommodate changing priorities; meet
short- and long-term deadlines/goals; and complete routine tasks
despite intermittent interruptions. This includes managing multiple
tasks and working proactively to avoid crisis and backlog.
- Ability to initiate establish, and foster communication and
teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work
atmosphere while establishing effective working relations with a
- Ability to work on all electric carts.
- Experience in handling, storage and disposal of auto shop
hazardous waste. Required Qualifications
- Thorough knowledge of automotive and/or equipment mechanics
including electrical systems and brake and engine overhaul.
- Thorough knowledge of methods, tools, materials, equipment and
computerized systems used in the maintenance, adjustment and repair
of engines, equipment and accessories.
- Working knowledge of wiring and electrical theory and engine
principles and of hydraulic systems.
- Working knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations
pertaining to automotive and other power-driven equipment,
including applicable smog regulations.
- Working knowledge of effective supervisory practices and
- Ability to make skilled repairs to applicable automotive,
maintenance and/or construction equipment.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical and electrical malfunctions and
perform a variety of skilled repairs on equipment.
- Ability to work from blueprints, drawings and sketches to
- Ability to perform required welding; inspect vehicles and
equipment and determine extent of repairs.
- Ability to prepare and maintain more complex reports and record
and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or
computerized record-keeping systems and prepare standard reports.
- Ability to provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the
position and perform arithmetic calculations required by the
- Ability to analyze and respond appropriate to emergency
- Ability to lead, instruct and coordinate the work of a small
group or crew of skilled and semi-skilled workers.
- Ability to perform skilled to highly skilled repair,
maintenance and modification work.
- Ability to accurately estimate costs, supplies and materials
needed. License or Certifications
- Valid California Driver's License Salary Range
$5,742 - $7,414 per month plus excellent paid benefits.
(Anticipated salary will be $5,742 - $6,316 per month, depending on
the qualifications of the successful finalist.)
Compensation & Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience. As a member of the
23-campus CSU System, we offer an extremely competitive benefits
package that includes, but is not limited to, outstanding vacation,
health, dental, and vision plans; a fee waiver education program;
membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System
(PERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. Link to (Bargaining Unit:6)
How to Apply
To be considered, qualified candidates must submit a completed
Stanislaus State online employment application, cover letter, and
resume. Applications are accepted electronically only. Please note
that failure to completely fill out each section of the online
application may result in your application not receiving
consideration. To apply online, please click the "Apply Now" button
on this page.
FEBRUARY 23, 2021
Criminal Background Clearance Notice
Satisfactory completion of a background check (which includes
checks of employment records, education records, criminal records,
civil records; and may include motor vehicle records, professional
licenses, and sex offender registries, as position requires) is
required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of
employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals
disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the
candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to
satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the
continued employment of a current CSU employee who was
conditionally offered the position.
Campus & Area
California State University, Stanislaus serves the San Joaquin
Valley and is a critical educational resource for a six-county
region of approximately 1.5 million people. The University is fully
committed to creating a culture of diversity and inclusion - one in
which every person in the University community feels safe to
express their views without fear of reprisal. Widely recognized for
its quality academic programs, the University has 10 nationally
accredited programs and 662 faculty members. 94 percent of
full-time faculty holds doctorates or terminal degrees in their
fields. The University offers 43 undergraduate majors, 16 master's
programs, 7 post-graduate credentials, a doctorate in education and
serves more than 10..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Confidential, Turlock , Lead Auto/Equipment Mechanic, Engineering , Turlock, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!